Jeff Bezos, the CEO of Amazon, has surpassed Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and has become the richest person in the world. Gates has been the holder of this title for more than four years .
The “battle” for this title began on the stock market on Thursday, the day Amazon released its third quarter earnings report. In the report, Amazon reported revenues of $43 billion, which was more than the forecast of $42.1 billion analysts anticipated, triggering the purchase of shares. On Friday, two hours after the start of the trading session, Amazon’s shares had risen 11.9% .
Microsoft’s shares, which also reported its quarterly data on Thursday, by comparison, had risen 7%. The battle, according to Forbes magazine, which tracks the world’s greatest fortunes, already had a winner: Bezos.
According to Forbes, Amazon’s CEO had a $92.6 billion fortune on Friday. On the other hand, Gates had a net worth of 90.1 billion.
It is not the first time that Bezos moves Gates from the post. Bezos became the richest person in the world in July this year just before publishing Amazon’s second-quarter results, at which time the company achieved a historic record in valuing its shares. But Bezos only held that title for a few hours. At the end of that day, Gates ranked first.
This is Forbes’ current listing of the richest people in the world along with its heritage:
1. Jeff Bezos, Amazon: $ 93.1 Billion
2. Bill Gates, Microsoft: $ 90.1 Billion
3. Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway: $ 80.6 Billion
4. Amancio Ortega, Zara: 78.7 billion dollars
5. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook: $ 73.8 Billion
6. Carlos Slim Helú, telecommunications industry: 64.5 billion dollars
7. Bernard Arnault, LVMH: $ 62.3 billion
8. Larry Ellison, Software Industry: $ 61.8 Billion
9. Larry Page, Google: 48.2 billion dollars
10. Michael Bloomberg, Bloomberg LP: $ 48.1 Billion
So the classification remains. However, it is very likely that he will not stay that way for long. As we have seen, no one stays on top of the mountain forever.
Sarah hails from NYC, and is currently pursuing her M.D. from the Perelman School of Medicine, She is an internet wizard and has keen passion in All Things tech. She is a regular Comment contributor for Tri State Daily and writes a Web column, in which she covers issues affecting people in rural areas with the ever changing technology